The Lower Belvedere was completed in 1716 and was originally Prince Eugene’s residence. Today the Baroque staterooms are used for temporary exhibitions.
© Eva Würdinger, Belvedere, Wien
© Belvedere, Wien
© Johannes Stoll, Belvedere, Wien
Hall of Grotesques Grotesques were extremely popular at the beginning of the eighteenth century. The painted adornments depict, for example, the four elements and the seasons and have been largely preserved in their original condition.
© Doll‘s Blumen
The Marble Gallery, a former ceremonial hall of Prince Eugene of Savoy, has direct access to the Kammergarten, or privy garden.
© Eva Würdinger, Belvedere, Wien / © Sandro Zanzinger
Kammergarten The Kammergarten (privy garden) was Prince Eugene’s private area and refuge.
Gold Cabinet Gilded and mirrored, the cabinet was redesigned under Empress Maria Theresa to incorporate decorative objects from Prince Eugene’s city palace. Today, it has been preserved to look just as it did in 1765.